Saturday, November 8, 2008

Slice 'N Dice










On the 16th of October I had surgery to remove a softball size mass from my left shoulder. I noticed in June I had some spidery web looking marks and I thought, "that's weird!" I showed Ben, but since it didn't hurt I didn't worry. In September, I went to the doctor for a physical and I showed my Dr. She was very worried about it and referred me to a surgeon. Having worked on the surgical floor at McKay Dee Hospital, I knew the surgeons well. I decided to go with Dr. Richard Alder. (he took Ben's gallbladder out).

I had an appointment two weeks later with Dr. Alder. He said it was a lipoma and that I would have to have it taken out in the main OR with general anesthesia. I wasn't as scared as I thought I would be, but, it was still scary because I have never had surgery. So, my surgery was scheduled for two weeks later.
At the hospital the anesthesiologist had to start my IV. He gave me O2 and sleepy meds. Next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. Well, trying to wake up. Never having had general anesthesia, my body was wiped out for days. It was weird trying to get back to normal. Day three was the worst with the pain. Luckily it didn't get to horribly bad.
Thanks to Mom and Dad for taking Ian over the weekend, Kami for dinner, Aunt Carolyn for flowers, work for the halloween decoration, and Sharon and Stan for the diet coke!
PS. Everything was okay and the mass was benign.

1 comment:

Carolyn Nelson said...

I still can't believe how huge that thing was!